After initial consultation of the index further research can be undertaken by studying the relevant paper copy of the Church Record.
It facilitates searches by diocese, church, type of item, or dedication. The information available includes the names of artists, manufacturers and retailers, the names of donors and of those commemorated as well as subjects of stained glass and wall paintings. However items of silver, gold or other precious materials are not included.
Comments about the Church Records Index
' have just had a look at your Church Records Online Index - it works very well, and should prove to be an increasingly useful resource'
'a very good idea which will greatly enhance the practical value of NADFAS Records to Diocesan Advisory Committees'
Actual Church Records can be seen at the following places
- English Heritage Archive*
- Church Buildings Council Library
- National Art Library at the Victoria & Albert Museum
- County record offices (or diocesan archive depository)
* or equivalent organisations in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man